Monday, May 3, 2010

Ranting about Fantastic Four 2, Sue Storm, and Chris Evans...

 O.K. Decided to watch Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer again. Man. I'm not gonna lie, I did enjoy it a little. Seeing the Silver Surfer on the big screen was awesome. I tried to imagine Chris Evans as Captian America. Like I said, "Tried". I just can't see it. I hope it works. I do want to see the Cap movie and will because I see every comic book movie made (I'm a comic book fan, I love this stuff.). More on this in a minute. As I said, I was watching FF2 when I tried to picture our new Cap as Cap, when it dawned on me. I DID accept Jessica Alba as Sue Storm.

 Now, I'm not knocking Jessica Alba as an actress. Nor am I saying she can't portray Sue Storm, because she clearly did. All I'm saying is if she were to be pulled over in AZ, she would be questioned about her legal status. Again, not a knock against her, but didn't she seem to be artificially "lightened"? After thinking about this, and watching the movie. I began to see she didn't remind me of what I thought Sue Storm to be. Which is a white woman! Again, not being racist, I myself am mexican. I'm just sayin' Sue Storm is an established, historical comic book icon. (Would you accept Will Smith as Batman? or Justin Bieber as Static Shock? Didn't think so.) My gripe isn't actually with the actor's here, but with the people that write and produce this stuff!

 Are they really gonna say "Well it was my vision or interpretation of how I saw the character of Sue Storm. I felt Jessica Alba embodied the character on the inside, despite not looking like her." Or "Her acting and intimate portayal of Sue Storm led me to SEE Sue Storm and NOT Jessica Alba." Come the fuck on!!!! They were all sittin' around thinking "How can we sell this crap?", "I know, we'll put Jessica Alba in it as Sue Storm!", "Yeah!..Wait she's hispanic. Don't we have some guy named Chris Evans playing her brother? He's not hispanic.", "No worries! We'll dye her hair and give her blue contacts! Besides, she'll be in a tight costume and we'll find a way to have her in her underware! No one will care!", "We'll be rich!" Meanwhile our beloved comic gets the shit raped out of it!!! Again I'm not saying she didn't do a good job, aside from the obvious "white face", she looked great. But she was not Sue Storm. Which started to get me worried about the Captain America movie.

 Imagine Chris Evans standing with (The movie versions) Thor and Iron Man. Who would you think is leading the group? Captian America has to command respect and inspire awe in those he leads. His mere presence must be THE commanding presence. Even around Thor. A FUCKING GOD! Thor would smack Iron Man around without a second thought. Thor would think twice before fucking with Cap. A FUCKING GOD!! Not a knock against Chris Evans, I liked him in The Losers. But Captian America is an entirely diferent animal. On screen, he'll be competing with Robert Downey Jr. (A rare Marvel win in terms of casting.) who'll be his usual attention grabbing self, and Chris Hemsworth who'll have the most attention grabbing abilities and story (A FUCKING GOD!!!) About now is where FF2 was ending and I saw what they passed off as Galactus. It made me cringe. Remembering what they also did to Venom, I wondered how they'll bastardize The Avengers.

 Being a life long Marvel fan, I do hope it all works out and it gets done somewhat right. (The first pics from Thor look promising.) It just sucks that these great stories, what made these characters so beloved and so popular, are getting hacked to shit because the people making the movies have no idea who these characters really are. They use "Their interpretations" of the characters, or a friend who needs a job, or a money saving C-lister, or the usual "Good to look at" but horrible acting A/B lister. No one takes the time to make a movie right anymore. It's all Now, Now, Now. Let's beat Batman or Let's beat Avatar, or we have to finish it so we can put it out when this other movie comes out. (The latest is "let's put a 3D scene in it just to have a 3D scene, and we'll cut out an actual good scene to do it!") Ugh. Like I said though, I'll still go see it. I'll bitch and moan, but I'll see it. Hell, I just watched FF2 again. Despite all the crap, I still kinda enjoyed it. (Although them fucking completely screwing up Deadpool is still unforgivable in my eyes and they MUST fix that shit with a solo movie or I will fucking find whoever wrote that horrible crap and feed them to a lion.) I support them too because I'm still holding out hope they get it right eventually. To see an actual, faithful adaptation of an awesome comic. (Kick-Ass kicked ass by the way BECAUSE of that! They took a chance and made an R-rated comic book movie that was FAITHFUL! AND. IT. WORKED! But alas, it's an "indie", non-main stream comic. The big two, Marvel and DC need to take notes.) (I know, Batman Begins and Dark Knight were great, but even those held back. Think about it.)

 The point of all this? It's not Jessica Alba's a horrible Sue Storm or The Avengers are doomed. It's just it would be nice for non-comic book fans to see why we comic book fans are so passionate about our comics and characters. It would be awesome for a non-comic book reader to see a completely faithful rendition of Galactus, in full glory, full view. To see it all like we comic book readers do, the REAL version. Not that crappy "cloud thingy". You would understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment